AIA, Landscape Architect, LEED AP
With over 40 years of professional experience as an architect and designer, Helen has extensive experience with an array of building types primarily in the public sector under MGL Ch. 149. Working for state colleges and universities, state agencies, and municipalities over the past 20 years Helen has developed a number of repeat clients such as Mass. Maritime Academy and the New Bedford Housing Authority. In addition to being a licensed and accomplished architect, she is also trained as a landscape architect with a master’s degree from the Rhode Island School of Design. To date, Helen has completed several planning and landscape projects, including design guidelines for the towns of Marion and Wareham, the campus plan for Massachusetts Maritime Academy and most recently a multi-phased cemetery design for the Town of Norwell.
- Rhode Island School of Design, Master of Landscape Architecture, 2006.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Master of Architecture. 1975.
- Wellesley College, Bachelor of Fine Arts. 1969.
Partner, Boston Bay Architects, LLC
Founder, Civitects PC, Wareham, MA 1996
Civitas, Architects & Planners, Founder, Managing Partner
Project experience includes institutional, public, corporate, industrial, historical and residential projects. Clients included Massachusetts Maritime Academy, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, Falmouth Public Schools, New Bedford Housing Authority, Town of Norwell
ABACUS Architects U Planners, Wareham, MA, Managing Partner
Dyer/Brown & Associates, Inc., New Bedford, MA, Project Architect
Brown & Lindquist, Inc., Yarmouthport, MA, Draftsman
Sippican Inc., Marion, MA; Construction Manager
Thompson consultants, Inc., Marion MA; Draftsman-Designer and Construction Manager
- Rhode Island Registered Architect #XXX
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Registered Architect #XXX
- LEED AP. 200X
- NCARB Certified
- MCCPO Certified
- American Institute of Architects
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Boston Society of Architects (BSA), Board of Directors 1996-98, 1999-2000
- BSA Task Force on Growth Management/ Smart Growth, Chairman, 1989-99
- Rhode Island School of Design, Guest Critic, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006
Lectures: Architecture, Planning, Design
- “Maintaining Community Character – The People Aspect”, American Planning Association, Regional Conference
- “New England, Myth and Reality”, Wellfleet, MA
- “Planning for Living in the Small Town”, Fairhaven, MA
- “Guiding Growth in the Small Town”, Sandisfield, MA
- “Zoning New England”, Build Boston, Boston Society of Architects
- “Smart Growth” Massachusetts State House
- “Smart Growth”, a presentation for developers, Framingham State College